The Lost Towns of Quabbin Valley
The Quabbin Reservoir, in central Massachusetts, was created in 1938 to supply the stateís growing population with a source of drinking water. More than two thousand people were displaced when the Quabbin Valley was flooded. Three branches of the Swift River were dammed, and five towns Dana, Enfield, Greenwich, Prescott, and parts of New Salem were covered with water. The Lost Towns of the Quabbin Valley highlights the life and times of these towns from 1754 to 1938, when the inhabitants were told, All Must Leave. The architectural landscape of the Quabbin Valley at one time included the churches, cemeteries, schoolhouses, post offices, homes, and businesses that made the thriving communities. The Lost Towns of the Quabbin Valley presents rare photographs of town life, including images of students at the first Hillside School and Dr. Mary Walker, a Congressional Medal of Honor recipient and Greenwich summer resident. The images are drawn from the archives of the Swift River Valley Historical Society. Although the towns are gone, their stories are alive and well.
Author: Elizabeth Peirce
Paperback: 128 pages
Publisher: Arcadia Publishing (July 14, 2003)